Thought For Today

I am so glad that you have found this site and I hope you will find encouragement and joy as you read through my thoughts on God, family and life.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Sand Pile



I imagine that everyone is enjoying the beautiful sunshine today. We have had rain for about a week straight and it is nice to see the sun again.
This morning I was out on the deck enjoying the warmth of the early morning sun while reading my daily scriptures. I was reading Matthew 18 when the disciples asked who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Perhaps they were vying for places in the world to come or just curious to know. I believe the answer surprised everyone including the disciples. Jesus said, "I tell the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."
These verses remind me how important and precious children are and how important it is too . So many times we look at the problems of adulthood and we try to solve a particular problem by looking at all the possible solutions and then hoping our choice is the best one. So how does being like a child come into play with the adult world?
The other day I was asked to go out to the sand pile by Abby and Will. I wasn't excited about the idea of getting sand in my shoes and socks, but I went anyway. I sat there and thought of the many things that were holding my attention back at the house and wondering how I was going to get them done. At that moment I looked down and saw that Abby had built a large hill out of sand.  In looking over at Will I saw that he had dug a sand tunnel and was carefully removing the remnants of sand from his tunnel. He was already to start driving his trucks through his creation. Abby on the other hand was decorating her sand hill with sea shells, rocks and sticks. They were happy having daddy watching them build their creations. Then Abby at that moment looked up and said, "Daddy, will you play with me?" I realized that my body was there with them, but my mind was in the house. I hestitantly said yes and began to look for sea shells for her sand hill. As I did this I began to notice that I was enjoying myself and Abby was very excited about having her daddy help. Will at that time asked if I would help him move some sand for his project. I began helping Will as well and found that we all were having time of our lives.  In making the sounds of the bulldozer and dump trucks I found Will starting to do the same. Psychologists say that I was modeling for my children and they were following suit. I would say that I was doing just the opposite, I was modeling my children and following them. My worries and concerns left me and I enjoyed myself more than I could say. The thought would occasionally enter my mind that what some adult would think to see a grown man making bulldozer sounds. I pondered this a little while, and only to come to the conclusion that they don't know what they are missing.
In retrospect, in looking back, I was putting my cares in my pocket and enjoying the moment. My children were teaching me that it was ok to take time and have fun with them.  
My mind now goes back to the other day, Abby and I were at Starbucks standing in line when I looked back and noticed that Abby had started talking to two young women standing behind us.  She was inviting them to come to her house and see her kitty and play with her.  They were very kind to her and said that it would be fun.  What surprised me even more was Abby's next statement.  "I like you" she said to the two ladies.  They looked a little surprised and responded by saying in unison, "we like you too."  And so, I am learning from my children to be a child again.  Perhaps this is how we should come to Jesus in the same way, as a child.  
I encourage you to be a child today, have fun in the sand pile.  Augie

No comments: